Finally on-board the QE

We are finally on-board the Queen Elizabeth after wondering for awhile if we would get over what should have been a mild illness. San Francisco had wonderful weather for its two-day port stop – mild 70 degree days.
Apparently, prior to San Francisco, the cruise has been quite rough. They missed the port in Bermuda and had a half-day in Punta Delgada. This was definitely a disappointment but comes with cruising. That was the only stop between Southampton and New York.

As usual, the embarking process is a bit stressful, but once on-board it tends to even out. We had a nice dinner (after tying on our life-jackets 😊). We went under the Golden Gate Bridge right at dinner time, so many folks were late to dinner. Nice dinner – we all (six of us) had the beef tenderloin, which was very nice. I requested the Crème Brulee from the “Spa” menu, which might explain the small size of the dessert – actually, that was fine – none of the other desserts “called” to me, which is unusual. Our tablemates are a woman from Indiana traveling with her father from Toronto and two sisters from Brisbane – originally from New Zealand. I think it will be a nice group to visit with, though it’s the first time we’ve been seated totally away from a window. I will try to face the other way tonight to see out a bit.

Day one – at sea. The seas were a bit rocky last night and our cabin is forward a little more than I prefer. I hadn’t pre-treated with my routine ginger supplement yesterday so I did take the ginger, Sudafed, and a half of a Bonine pill. I was fine later and slept until 4:00 a.m. I took another half a Bonine with my pills this morning which I may not have needed. Our seas are very nice today and it sounds like that will hold for a day or so.

I enjoyed the line dance class once again – a bit of waltz, a bit of salsa, and a bit of Irish gig – great fun. It’s being taught by a couple from the ship’s dance group, but they did a good job. Since I did the line dancing three years ago on this cruise, I was mostly able to keep up. At least I feel like I got a bit of exercise besides the stair walking. We managed to take care of some business after my line dance. We got our internet set up and signed up for an excursion in the Bay of Islands (using on-board credit). It looked like fun the last time we were there.

Our first Meet and Mingle since SFO was attended by about 25 people, so we were able to connect with leaders of private tours. We were interrupted by the captain’s noon announcement which was fine, but I wasn’t expecting to have it repeated in German as well. We just took care of some business while that part was happening, then made introductions around the circle. We have a few from the UK but mostly Americans, and one couple from Iceland who are on their first ever cruise.

Day two - at sea – another glorious day outside – warming up nicely. Such a lazy life you can have on-board. I again went to line dancing – different teachers (again from the ship’s dance troupe). It’s a fun way to get some exercise (brain and body). Since most people there are not pros, we’re all stumbling around together but mostly going the same direction.

We had intended to go to a lecture on Cole Porter this afternoon but the presenter has lost his voice, so I’m now sitting on a lounge chair on the lower promenade deck watching and listening to the sea. It’s just cool enough to have a pool towel over my bare feet and my lightest jacket on – there is, after all, always a breeze with the ship’s forward motion.

Tonight will be our first formal evening with a Welcome Reception for to meet the captain and officers – generally very nice canapes and champagne. Cunard does a very nice job with these receptions, but since it’s right before dinner we don’t indulge too much. This is the Cunard Ball – we’re not really sure what the dress is for this one, but will wear our more formal “duds” and, I suspect Stan’s top hat will come out of the box.

Some of you may know the story of the top hat. Three years ago, when we sailed our first World Cruise with Cunard, we “dressed” for many of the theme nights. We’d spent quite a bit of time creating appropriate costumes during the year before – regularly perusing the offerings at our local thrift stores. Since we’re only on the ship for a few weeks at a time this year, we didn’t get into it quite so much – brought a few little things but that’s it. So, back to the top hat. This past summer we were cruising with our family when Stan found a very nice men’s hat shop in Old Quebec City. After returning to the ship, he decided to go back to the shop to look some more and took our daughters with him while I took the grandchildren to the pool. They had a great time as their dad tried on numerous hats and encouraged him (they told me they’d never seen him smile so much 😊) – so he bought the top hat. He didn’t think he’d bring it on this trip but I told him it had to travel with us (though how do you pack a top hat so it survives? We’ll answer that when we’re all the way back home). Anyway, it’s on-board with us and will come out tonight.

More will come in another edition – but here I’ve included Stan’s first photo blog of the journey. It’s on Google drive and should be open for anyone to view. Hope you enjoy – he’s the photographer of the family.


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jiSMrdTOcWlYzWB373F6Pe4UsBysstWI/view?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General Itinerary and overview

Western Australia

Islands of the Indian Ocean with Stan's trip reports